MovieTreatments.com Forums  

Go Back   MovieTreatments.com Forums > Movie Treatment Basics > Upload Your Movie Treatment

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Hollywood Veteran

Location: Tinseltown (Not Hollywood, it's a real town somewhere else)
WriteNow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonPen View Post
How come the main chracter doesn't have a girlfriend or something? I agree that we should find out about his ex-wife. Or just something about a woman in his life, he seems kinda, I don't know, asexual or something. But I guess he's older-
Now THIS is interesting. I was just casually scanning some threads here when I noticed that PoisonPen made the exact same request as the people interested in your treatment.

What can we learn? Well, women like a little romance in their films (I believe PoisonPen is a girl- please correct me if I'm wrong), especially bleak/dystopian/futuristic ones. You can't really blame the studio (or whoever you're dealing with) seeing as they are just trying to broaden the audience and maximize profits.

Look at it as a challenge. Make the film work AND add the extra romance element. It CAN be done. I can understand why you're hesitant, though. But all writers eventually shed the idea that their work is perfect "as is" when THEY say so. Sure, rewrites and meddling have destroyed would-be great films, but they've also saved plenty too.

Update us, Rex, if you aren't too busy riding around Sunset in a stretch limo with some starlets . . .
Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 PM

PoisonPen is on a distinguished road

Yes, I'm a girl.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 PM

Rex is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a while. The last few weeks have been a hectic whirlwind. But, I have some good news . . .

I SOLD A TREATMENT!

Yes, you read that right. Holocaust has been sold. The good news is that I got AT LEAST as much as I was hoping for (more, actually). The bad news is they bought the treatment with the intention of having someone else write the script. Now, this does kind of suck- especially since I ALREADY WROTE IT- but I'm too busy being happy that I actually SOLD something.

After a couple of meetings I tried, I really really tried to accommodate all their ideas but it was one thing after another. Eventually I think we were both sick of each other and I was kind of hoping they would just buy me out anyway. Now I can go back to writing stuff my way, and who knows- the film that gets made out of my treatment will probably be so different from what I wrote that I can still use the basic concept later on.

So, I just wanted say thanks to everyone here- especially WriteNow. It can happen, I'm proof. And while I'm not exactly rich, nor do I have much else lined up- I've made good connections and I can say that I've actually sold something. Here's to hoping Holocaust actually gets made (something like 90% of scripts don't), though I can assure you it won't be called Holocaust, so don't bother keeping an eye out. The suits were pretty adamant that they were not going to risk a backlash by even anecdotally associating the film with the actual holocaust. Oh well-

Off to write some more and compulsively check my bank account online. I just can't believe there's actual money in there- more than what I need for rent, anyway- finally, for the first time in years.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM

MAPV is on a distinguished road

Congrats on selling the treatment there Rex. I have read Holocaust and loved it. I hope they do make a movie of it because I would go see it.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Hollywood Veteran

Location: Tinseltown (Not Hollywood, it's a real town somewhere else)
WriteNow is on a distinguished road

Well that's what I get for not logging on in awhile- CONGRATS REX!

This is great news and I'm sure will give hope to the other members of this forum. I got your PM regarding contracts and legalities and will get back to you.

For now bask in the glory of a job well done. You negotiated the Hollywood gauntlet and came out on top. Yes, it would have been preferable if they bought your script, but who knows- keep yourself in the loop and try and get in good with whoever they hire, maybe you can sneak your script ideas in through the back door.

Regardless you are now one step ahead in the game. Now get back to the typewriter/computer and write another saleable treatment. Now you know that IT CAN BE DONE.

So do it again . . . .
Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Administrator

marc has disabled reputation

Wow, this thread got my attention too. Congrats Rex! As far as I know this is the first treatment posted to this site that got sold. So you're a trailblazer. Now that you sold one and you've got some connections, that will make future treatments that much easier to pitch and sell.

And thanks to our resident expert WriteNow for posting a detailed critique of Holocaust and giving Rex some pointers on how to prepare for the meeting with the prospective buyers. Hollywood's a tough business to crack, so the more experienced veterans you know the better your chances of success. Rex has proven that!