View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Hollywood Veteran

Location: Tinseltown (Not Hollywood, it's a real town somewhere else)
WriteNow is on a distinguished road

Yes, the "coffeeshop writers" are nothing new. I don't drink coffee much, but whenever I would pass by a Starbucks full of "writers" on their laptops I always thought the same thing as you. I think people just do it for an ego boost, as it can get lonely hammering away at your computer in a darkened room. Personally I found that writing for 3-4 hours then taking a walk for a half hour or so and getting back to it were the best thing for me.

However, I can see how the hustle and bustle of a public environment might suit some people. And if so, good for them. But I think anyone's whose lived in L.A. can tell you that there's a very high percentage of fakes and imposters there, so use your best judgment when networking. Even still, you will get blown off and lied to by flakes and the like. I know I did. Just know that it comes with the territory and is nothing personal. Plenty of times you will also be presented with great opportunities.