Thread: Wreckage
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Rex is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks a lot for the in depth critique, WriteNow. I really appreciate it. I love the title, too. In fact the title came almost before everything else, almost. Originally it was going to take place on a crashed/sunken submarine. It changed alot as it went on. For one thing Samuel was originally just a normal human being and at the end of the film he commits suicide. Wait, let me back up-

You were right about most of the stuff you said. I was trying to be ambiguous intenionally but I think all the evidence is there, some of which you pointed out. Samuel doesn't get the disease is the big one. The eye color of his wife is also supposed to be a mistake the company made when they were implanting him with artificial memories. They don't match the photo he has of his wife, but they (the company) didn't know she wore colored contacts. Because, of course, it wasn't really Samuel's wife, but someone else's and he was given the memories. So, yes, Samuel is not human but I like to think he was a manufactured human, not a robot. Sounds odd, but I mean to say that he is organic, not a machine. But not a clone like in "Moon" which I did see, and loved. But I wrote this years ago, so I didn't get inspired by Moon or anything.

I know this film is tough to sell. No T and A, not much action, pretty slow. I wrote it cause I loved the idea. It could be done so well now with the effects possibilities. I have never seen a movie about Mars that captures the feeling of extreme isolation I'm going for.

Thanks again. No, I am probably not going to change anything (then I would have to change the screenplay too) but you seemed to "get" it and tell me more or less what I would hope someone with your experience would. I'll shoot for something more "saleable" next time, but I thuink you have to write what you love first, and worry about getting rich second.